Youth Minister (20 Hours) Job Description
Job Title: Youth Minister
Accountable to: Christ Church Sidcup Parochial Church Council
Reports to: the Vicar
Salary: £12,000 pa reviewed annually. A house is not provided with the post.
Holiday entitlement: 6 weeks per annum plus statutory days. Our expectation is that the majority of these weeks would be taken in school holiday time.
Training entitlement: The PCC will agree a per annum budget towards ongoing training once the training needs of the person in post is established.
Hours of Work: Part time (20 hours/week) including evening and weekends.
Normal Place of Work: Church and home.
Overall purpose of the post: To oversee and develop a ministry of the church among 11-18 year olds.
We have Pathfinders (11-14s) and a CYFA Groups (14-18s) led by volunteers and meeting during the Sunday service. Pathfinders has a social programme, but CYFA does not. We have a small Friday night youth club aimed at drawing in non-church young people. We have close links with our Boys Brigade company.
Numbers in our youth ministry are small. There are around eight children in Pathfinders and five in CYFA. There is a larger cohort of children currently in years five and six.
- Overseeing the existing youth work.
- Leadership of one of the two current groups (preferably CYFA)
- Strengthening our emphasis on Jesus-centred Bible teaching and evangelism among the young people.
- Encourage and equip the young people to share their faith.
- Building a supportive network among the young people beyond the group meetings.
- Liaising with uniformed organisations linked to the church.
- Arranging for young people and children to attend weekends away and other events in the wider church (e.g. holiday clubs / national camps etc.)
- Ensuring the church’s Safeguarding Policy is implemented with regard to children and young people especially in the area of social media.
- Leading and/or preaching at church services where appropriate, especially the monthly All Age Service.
- Such other reasonable duties as the PCC/Vicar may from time to time require.
- Depending on the experience and skills of the person appointed the role could be extended to building and training teams of youth leaders within the congregation and helping families raise their children to trust Jesus.
- A committed Christian.
- An active devotional life, demonstrable Christian character and a commitment to live and minister under the authority of the Bible.
- Passionate and able to teach the gospel to young people.
- Experience of leading in a church-based children and youth ministry, whether paid or not.
- Good administrative and organisational skills and IT skills strong enough to communicate with young people in ways relevant to them.
- Ability to relate to the whole age spectrum of the church family.
- Past completion or current involvement in a tertiary course in Christian youth work or general Christian ministry. We are open to someone undertaking this role in conjunction with their youth work studies.
In accordance with Rochester Diocesan requirements, Christ Church PCC has adopted the diocesan safeguarding and safer recruitment policies
Regular supervision and pastoral support will be provided.
The role will be subject to a three month probationary period. We have committed to funding this role for three years.
The post is subject to an enhanced criminal record check from the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Note – this Job Description does not form part of your Contract of Employment.
Closing date: Friday 30th June.
Click here for an application form
To be returned, with covering letter to Church Coordinator, Mrs Kelly Newman, at email@example.com or 71 Brooklands Avenue, Sidcup, Kent, DA15 7PF.
References will be taken for all short listed candidates. If you have questions about the position, please contact Kelly.